Dr. Fenderson (affectionately called Dr. Fendy) was born at YRMC and raised here in Prescott, Arizona. He is a native Prescottonian, which is not a common thing! He attended the local public schools: Miller Valley Elementary, Prescott Junior High School (currently Mile High Middle School) and Prescott High School. During high school, he was all-state in both football and baseball. He also played in the North-South All-Star game in both sports.
Dr. Fendy received his Bachelor of Science degree in biology from the University of Arizona, where he played baseball. Upon graduation, he went on to attend dental school at the University of Southern California for four years, where he received his Doctoral of Dental Surgery degree. He graduated #1 in his class out of 117 students, elected to Omicron Kappa Upsilon, the national dental honor society and received numerous awards and honors.
Dr. Fendy then attended the University of Michigan for his three-year residency in orthodontics and received his Master of Science degree in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. The University of Michigan is nationally recognized as being one, if not the top orthodontic program in the country. From there, he went on to serve as a Captain in the United States Army at Fort Irwin, California for three years. There, he served as Company Commander, DENTAC as well as Chief, Department of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. Since his ETS from the Army in early 2001, Dr. Fendy has maintained his private practice in orthodontics in Prescott, Arizona. He is currently licensed to practice dentistry in Arizona and California (since 1995).
Awards, Honors and Affiliations
- Graduated #1 in his class from USC Dental School
- Published research: “A Long-Term Study on the Expansion Effects of the Cervical-Pull Facebow With and Without Rapid Maxillary Expansion” (Angle Orthod 2004; 74:439-449)
- Awarded The Meritorious Service Medal from the United States Army
- Received the Dr. Thomas M. Graber Research Essay Award of Special Merit, given by the American Association of Orthodontists (AAO)
- Received the Garrett Neukirk Memorial Award from the USC Dental Alumni Association for outstanding academic achievement in the four-year doctoral program and in recognition of the recipient’s potential for professional leadership
- Received the Robert W. McNulty Memorial Award given by the USC Dental Alumni Association for the highest academic achievement during the four-year doctoral program
- Received the Frank Lott Memorial Award from the USC Dental Alumni Association for excellence in partial and complete removable prosthesis.
- Member of the American Association of Orthodontists
- Member of the American Dental Association
- Member of the Pacific Coast Society of Orthodontists
- Member of the Arizona Dental Association
- Member of the Northern Arizona Dental Society
- On the Board of Directors for (as well as a member of) the Arizona Orthodontic Study Club
- Match Maker for Yavapai Big Brothers/Big Sisters
- ABO certified, Diplomate